Harry and Sigmund Weis established Weis Markets in 1912, when they opened their first store, Weis Pure Foods, in Sunbury, Pennsylvania.
By the late 1920s, the company had expanded to open over 100 stores in Pennsylvania. Weis introduced self-service stores, but initially customers did not like the concept. However, customers later accepted it after realizing the savings that could be made on their shopping.
Over the 1930s and 1940s, Weis Markets converted its small neighborhood grocery stores to larger supermarkets. After World War II, Harry’s son Robert and Sigmund’s son Sigfried returned from the military to join the family business.These two men along with Mike Rheam, who joined the company in the early 1950s, lead the company in the subsequent decades.
Weis Markets embarked on an expansion plan that saw it open 47 superstores and expand or remodel 60 others, over the next five years in 1995. During this time, Weis Markets invested $400 million for its expansion.
The company opened a new superstore in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania and a replacement unit in Muncy, Pennsylvania in 2002.
Weis Markets began offering gas at its store in Danville, Pennsylvania in 2004. In the same year, Weis Markets remodeled its Thomas Johnson Drive store in Maryland.
Weis Markets announced a $109.4 million capital expansion program in 2005. The capital was invested in the construction of eight superstores, including five replacement units, the expansion of eleven stores and the remodel of eleven others.
Weis Markets begun the 10,500 square foot expansion and remodel of its White Street store in YorK in January 2006.
The company opened a 61,000 Square Foot Superstore at Potomac Marketplace In Ranson, West Virginia in March 2006.
In April 2007, the company completed the expansion and extensive remodel of its Sunbury store, Pennsylvania.
Weis Markets completed the extensive remodel of its Perry Hall store located on East Joppa Road in September 2007.